Sindhi Koki is a 'parantha' or Indian flat bread. We make it with loads of love, green onions and chillies. It is perfect for breakfast and a great alternative to eating white bread. It is a great breakfast. Sindhi Traditional paratha which is best even for travel. You can combine it with an omelette or egg Benedict. If you are a vegetarian, with some roasted papad and curd or yogurt.
Children love with with some white butter smeared on it. It tastes great if you have it with a dollop of ghee or clarified butter. You could also add some jam if travelling and cannot have yogurt.The best way of making 'koki' will be on a non stick pan with minimum oil. You can also make it on cast iron pan. This will improve the iron in body in the long run. However be careful while adding butter. I love koki with extra butter or ghee smeared on it. You do not need any other dip with it. Simple koki yet yummy. Serve it hot with a cup of tea.
It almost tastes like a biscuit and yet no refined flour in it. It is a versatile dish and can be served with some potato curry as well instead of 'poori'.
Step by step pictures for Sindhi Koki
1.Knead all the ingredients into a semi-hard dough.
2.Roll into a very thick flatbread of around 1 inch in thickness.
3.Cook on a griddle/tava for few minutes,take it off.
4.Roll further to get into a flatbread of around 1 cm thickness
5.Cook on the griddle using little oil on both sides
6.Take it off the heat once cooked (golden brown).
Read the Sindhi Koki recipe below:
Sindhi Koki-Onion flatbread
- 2 cups Wheat flour
- 1 large Onion finely chopped (or 3 green onions chopped along with stalk)
- 3 green Chillies finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. Coriander leaves finely chopped
- ½ tsp Red Chili powder
- 3 tbsp Ghee/Oil if you are going vegan or dairy-free
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Annardana or pomegranate seeds optional slightly crushed
- Salt to taste
- Mix all ingredients with 2 tbsp oil & very little water and knead into stiff dough.
- Divide the dough into 4 portions.
- Roll each one with a rolling pin like a very thick paratha(1 inch) or Indian flat bread.
- Cook this extra thick flatbread for few minutes,take if off from heat
- Roll it again into a thick flatbread(1 cm) and continue cooking with little oil/ghee on both sides
- Cook until golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining dough
- Serve hot with any dip like yogurt or mint chutney/ Chundha/Pickle,Sindhi Papad or with some sauce and tea/juice.
Click here to see more Sindhi recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.