What is koki?
Koki is an easiest of Sindhi breakfast recipes. This is an onion parantha or masala roti which is an all time delicacy. It is a filling breakfast and traditionally eating this made you full until lunch.Koki is also eaten during Thadri /Saatam Atham.
This onion koki is a flaky Indian flatbread which uses minimal ingredients. Sindhi recipes like Rajasthani recipes, were created in according to the regional vegetation. We make it with loads of love, green onions and chopped chili. It is perfect for breakfast and a great alternative to eating white bread. Other easy sindhi recipes that you can make include Dal pakwan, Kali mirch koki, Seyun patata , sindhi kadhi, bhuga chawar, sindhi tomato kadhi , sindhi chauthe, sindhi besani ,sindhi tairi , sindhi mitho lolo , Sindhi onion pickle ,sindhi varo and do not forget Khorak.
Serving suggestion for this unique Sindhi recipe:
This Sindhi Traditional paratha is best even for travel. You can serve it with an omelet, fried eggs or egg Benedict. If you are a vegan or vegetarian, with some roasted papad and yogurt(as per milk of your choice). Sindhi sweet dishes like bhugal mawa also tastes good with koki.
Ingredients of Sindhi parantha
- Whole wheat flour
- Onion finely chopped (or 3 green onions chopped along with stalk)
- Cumin seeds
- Anardana or pomegranate seeds crushed
- Green chillies finely chopped
- Coriander leaves finely chopped
- Red Chili powder
- Ghee/Oil if you are going vegan or dairy-free
- Salt to taste
- Water for kneading
- Stand mixer for kneading (optional)
How to make Sindhi Koki recipe?
Read the below steps with pictures to learn how to make koki as we sindhis do.
- Add all ingredients and then water to the bowl.
2. Knead all the ingredients into a semi-hard dough. You can knead by hand or use a stand mixer.
3. Roll into a very thick flatbread of around 1 inch in thickness. Make incisions with a knife.
4. Heat the tava. Cook on a griddle/tava for few minutes. Take it off.
5. Roll further to get into a flatbread of around 1 cm thickness.
6. Cook on the griddle apply oil and flip.
7. Apply oil on the other side too.
8. Let it cook until it is golden brown on both sides.
9. Serve hot with chai or lassi. You can also serve it with some tomato ketchup or mint chutney.
Top tip: The best way of making 'koki' is on a cast iron pan. This will improve the iron in body in the long run. However be careful while adding butter. You can also make it on non stick pan.
How to eat koki?
Traditionally, we serve hot koki paratha with some papad and white butter smeared on it. I feel Sindhi cuisine has both minimalist cooking as well as elaborate fares. It tastes great if you have it with a dollop of ghee or clarified butter. If you like eggs, serve it with eggs sunny side up or half fry or a simple omelet. You could also add some jam if travelling and cannot have yogurt.
I love basar koki with extra butter or ghee smeared on it. You do not need any other dip with it. Simple koki yet yummy. Serve it hot with a cup of tea. It almost tastes like a biscuit and yet there is no refined flour in it. It is a versatile dish and can be served with some potato curry as well instead of 'poori'.
Sindhi breakfast list has many gems you can make o not just plain phulka and parathas.
Kali mirch ki koki: We also make a special koki with black pepper. This is given to new mums for energy. This roti recipe helps them with immunity, due to black pepper and gives them the boost of extra energy from ghee. I must thank my MIL for this recipe. It helped me when I needed it the most.
Besan koki: Besani/ besan ki koki or besan ki roti is a traditional flatbread with onions and spices. It is gluten free. Can be made vegan too.
Juar jo dodho: Traditional Jowar roti eaten for breakfast.
Sindhi lola: Also known as mitho lolo or Sindhi loli is a sweet flatbread made with jaggery and whole wheat atta.
You can store it in an air tight container and refrigerate. Stays for 3-4 days. However, eating fresh food is best. It is better to knead the dough and refrigerate. Make fresh koki when you want.
Want to try unique Sindhi dishes?
Here is a Sindhi food list which has a huge fan following everywhere.
Store it in refrigerator for 3-4 days after cooking. You can also store the dough by making it earlier & make fresh flatbread later.
Flour, salt, spices and chopped onions are kneaded with water to make this wonderful roti.
yes it is healthy.
Sindhi Koki recipe
- Stand mixer for kneading
- tava/ griddle
- 2 cups Wheat flour
- 1 cup Onion 1 large chopped (or 3 green onions chopped along with stalk)
- 3 green Chillies finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. Coriander leaves finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Red Chili powder
- 3 tablespoon Ghee/Oil if you are going vegan or dairy-free
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Annardana or pomegranate seeds optional slightly crushed
- Salt as per taste
- 1 cup Water (little less than)
How to make koki parantha
- Mix all ingredients with 2 tablespoon oil & very little water and knead into stiff dough.
- Divide the dough into 4 portions.
- Roll each one with a rolling pin like a very thick paratha(1 inch) or Indian flat bread.
- Cook this extra thick flatbread for few minutes,take if off from heat
- Roll it again into a thick flatbread(1 cm) and continue cooking with little oil/ghee on both sides
- Cook until golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Serve hot with any dip like yogurt or mint chutney/ Chundha/Pickle,Sindhi Papad or with some sauce and tea/juice.
Always reheat your left overs. If you want you can knead the dough and store it in refrigerator for 2-4 days. Make fresh flatbread whenever required.
Wonderful dish and very tasty. Please try this
Prashant Sontakke says
Class Recipe. Must try
bhavana bhatia says
Thank you very much
Sajni Khanna says
bhavana bhatia says
Kumar Medical Care says
The picture is mouth watering. I am cooking and learning koki with your blog.
Thank you so much for sharing the recipe. My family loved it!
bhavana bhatia says
Thank you very much for your feedback.