Who are Sindhis ?
Similarity with Telugu cuisine
The Telugu community also makes various lentils and greens combinations. palakura pappu is a dish very close to this spinach based lentils. In this case,we add tamarind and temper with dried red chilly,garlic and curry leaves. You can use tuvar or arhar/split pigeon peas lentil for it.
Step by Step pictures of Sai bhaji
Click here to watch the video of Sai Bhaji
Scroll below to read the recipe of Sai bhaji
Sai Bhaji-Spinach & Lentils
- 1 cup yellow mung dal/arhar dal split pigeon pea
- 500 grams Spinach chopped after removing stalks or 300gms baby spinach
- 2 medium size Tomatoes
- 1 medium size Onion finely chopped
- 1 capsicum finely chopped
- 1 medium size Carrot finely chopped
- 2 tbsp clarified butter 'ghee' or oil if vegan
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chillies finely chopped
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp kasuri methi optional
- 1 cup water
- Wash the lentils and soak in water for 30 mins.
- Remove the stalks of spinach.Chop it into smaller pieces, keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, heat the oil .Add cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Add chilli, ginger.Saute them for 10 secs.
- Now add onions and salt, until the onions turn pinkish in color.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 -10 mins.
- Once they soften,add the spices and carrots.
- Add the spinach followed by lentils and water.
- Pressure cook for 2-4 whistles on high flame.
- Set down the flame to low.Let it cook for another 4-5 whistles.(approx 15 to 20 mins).
- Open the lid, mash it well with the whisker.Adjust its consistency to a semi-dry.
- Serve hot with plain white rice or Bhuggal Chawal.
Depending on your taste,add little quantity of khatta bhaji, fenugreek leaves and dill leaves along with spinach.
Accordingly adjust the quantity of spinach in the recipe.
Reduce the quantity of tomatoes if using Khatta chukka or khatta bhaji.
Spinach shrinks and leaves water when hot.
Add more water will make the recipe more liquid.
You can also blanch spinach and use it.
Try more greens from Indian kitchen
Click here for more curry recipes
Also, click here to watch more recipe videos.