Who are Sindhis ?
Sindhis are the descendants of Indus valley civilization. This community has survived the test of both the time and partition. Although, the diaspora got scattered, post the bloodshed and partition, they have preserved 'Sindhiyat' wherever they settled.
Similarity with Telugu cuisine
The Telugu community also makes various lentils and greens combinations. palakura pappu is a dish very close to this spinach based lentils. In this case,we add tamarind and temper with dried red chilly,garlic and curry leaves. You can use tuvar or arhar/split pigeon peas lentil for it.
- Yellow mung dal/arhar dal split pigeon pea
- Spinach leaves
- Ghee/ clarified butter/ oil if vegan
- Cumin seeds
- Grated ginger
- Turmeric powder
- Green chilli
- Coriander powder
- Red chilli powder
- Kasuri methi optional
- Salt as per taste
How to make Sai bhaji? (step by step instructions)
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add ginger, green chillies and chopped onions. Let it cook until pink.
- Cook tomatoes along with salt until it soften. Add all the spices.
3. Add all the vegetables along with lentils & water. Pressure cook for upto 3 whistles on a medium flame.
4. Mash the lentils.
5. Serve hot with rice or roti.
How to make Sindhi sai bhaji ?(video)
Read the recipe for Sai bhaji below
Sai Bhaji recipe
- pressure cooker/ instant pot
- potato masher
- 1 cup yellow mung dal/arhar dal split pigeon pea
- 500 grams Spinach chopped after removing stalks or 300gms baby spinach
- 2 medium size Tomatoes
- 1 medium size Onion finely chopped
- 1 capsicum finely chopped
- 1 medium size Carrot finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon ghee or oil if vegan
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chillies finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilly powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi optional
- 1 cup water
- Wash the lentils and soak in water for 30 mins.
- Remove the stalks of spinach.Chop it into smaller pieces, keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, heat the oil .Add cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Add chilli, ginger.Saute them for 10 secs.
- Now add onions and salt, until the onions turn pinkish in color.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 -10 mins.
- Once they soften,add the spices and carrots.
- Add the spinach followed by lentils and water.
- Pressure cook for 2-4 whistles on high flame.
- Set down the flame to low.Let it cook for another 4-5 whistles.(approx 15 to 20 mins).
- Open the lid, mash it well with the whisker.Adjust its consistency to a semi-dry.
- Serve hot with plain white rice or Bhuggal Chawal.
Depending on your taste,add little quantity of khatta bhaji, fenugreek leaves and dill leaves along with spinach.
Accordingly adjust the quantity of spinach in the recipe.
Reduce the quantity of tomatoes if using Khatta chukka or khatta bhaji.
Spinach shrinks and leaves water when hot.
Add more water will make the recipe more liquid.
You can also blanch spinach and use it.
- Pressure cooker/ instant pot
- Potato masher
You may also use chana dal or Bengal gram for the same. This palak curry can be made with just tuvar or thoor dhal.Depending on your taste, add little quantity of khatta bhaji/ gongura, fenugreek leaves/methi and dill leaves along with spinach. Accordingly adjust the quantity of spinach in the recipe. Reduce the quantity of tomatoes if using khatta chukka or khatta bhaji. You can even add some carrots, capsicums, other greens like amaranth for flavor
You can store it for 1-2 days.
Try more greens from Indian kitchen?
- Saag paneer/palak paneer
- Indian vegan palak soup
- Sarson ka saag
- Sindhi style 7 vegetable curry - sata bhajiyun