Soup and bread is perfect for a hearty meal. It is full of nutrition and quite filling with minimal cooking. Vegan adzuki beans soup actually resembles the quick Indian kidney beans curry, better known as Rajma masala. This adzuki beans recipe has some veggies added to it thus giving it good texture.
I loved having soups during Winter night market when I first moved to Melbourne. Queen Vic Market and other soup kitchens sell a great variety to help you cope with cold and rainy Melburnian weather. Some years ago, there were not many options to eat for vegans and vegetarian. Now it is one of best places in the world to have vegan food.
Benefits of adzuki beans soup
There is something great about having hot soups , hydration. Hydration makes your skin glow and also keeps your gut healthy. Instead of having tablets, increase your water and liquid intake. Adzuki beans are rich in folates and calcium.
This vegan lentil dish can be eaten by kids to with some rice if you want to avoid giving them bread. Also, holds good for those who want to go gluten free. Beans also add protein and iron to your diet something you can easily get from plants and thus have a plant based meal.
- Adzuki beans (soaked in water for 3-4 hours or overnight)
- ginger garlic
- Tomato paste
- garam masala
- Sweet potatoes
- Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper as per taste
- Refer to recipe card for details.
- Soak 1 cup adzuki beans in water for 30 mins. Discard water before you use.
How to cook adzuki beans soup?
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté onions, ginger,garlic and little salt for 3-4 minutes.
2. Add tomato puree and cook for 8-10 mins.
3. Allow it to come together as paste
4. Now, add paprika, salt and garam masala powder. mix well.
4. Add adzuki beans and mix well.
5. Now add water and let it come to a boil. Cover and Cook on medium flame until the beans are completely cooked.(at least 30 minutes)
5. Add sweet potato pieces and cook until they are soft(10 minutes), simmering over medium heat.
6. Adjust salt and pepper as per your taste. Turn off the heat, add lime juice. Serve hot with bread.
Related easy vegan lentil recipes
If you want to try Indian curry lentil soup or dal based recipes, you must try rasam and sambar. Both of them are usually served in South Indian thali with rice or with idli & dosa but you can always have them alone as a soup. There is no dearth of vegan lentil recipes in India as vegetarian cuisine in Indian context, contains only dairy. Most dals can be tempered with oil instead of ghee and this turns them vegan. Some other recipes you can try:
- 10 + easy vegan soup recipes
- Dal tadka
- black eyed peas curry/ lobia dal
- Pumpkin lentil curry
- Curried red lentils
You can add more veggies to it like cauliflower , red pepper, butternut squash, broccoli or yam if you like. Try a new flavor every week. Yummy and delicious! Mushroom and kale also taste great in this broth.
You can make this from a can of lentils or any lentil soaked for 20 mins.
Top tip : Always drain the water from soaked raw lentils. You can use that to water your plants, if you want to avoid wastage.
You can cook this adzuki bean recipe in an instant pot, slow cooker and even pressure cooker. However, cooking time will vary.
Store it in refrigerator for 2-3 days. Always reheat the soup before you eat.
vegan adzuki bean soup | Adzuki beans soup recipe
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté onions,ginger,garlic and little salt for 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and cook for 8-10 mins.
- Allow it to come together as paste
- Now, add paprika, salt and garam masala powder. mix well.
- Add adzuki beans and mix well.
- Now add water and let it come to a boil. Cover and Cook on medium flame until the beans are completely cooked(at least 30 minutes)
- Add sweet potato pieces and cook until they are soft(10 minutes), simmering over low heat.
- Adjust salt and pepper as per your taste. Turn off the heat, add lime juice. Serve hot with bread.
Soups and salads, brown rice, juice and fresh fruits like pear, plum, papaya, peaches, mangoes and low fat yogurt.
They are rich in calcium, iron and folates. Helps lower cholesterol and aids weight loss.