Oh Potato, what will we do without you? You are the easiest and simplest of ingredients. No one can resist you! You can make delicious appetizers like amazing French fries, pakoras, crunchy fingerling potatoes, Xmas potatoes, crinkle potato chips, crispy potato cheese balls, potato paneer cutlets ,yummy smashed potatoes and even a sweet like aloo halwa. Make a flavor soup like potato broccoli soup and a delish potato leek soup if you want something plain. Most important you can make tons of curries with this one easy ingredient. A simple potato curry is an answer if hunger is the question.
There are two types of curries in Indian cuisine. Dry(sookhi sabzi) and ras wali ( curry sauce based). The dry recipes can be made in a pan or an air fryer while the curries can be made in an instant pot, pressure cooker or a Dutch oven using curry paste. Below is the recipe for an instant pot potato curry. Potatoes form the basis of many curries. Jeera aloo, aloo methi, aloo baingain, capsicum aloo, aloo beans, carrot & potatoes are few dry sabzi that you can make. For those who love to dip their naan bread in the curry, easy potato curry, aloo matar, aloo palak potato moringa curry are delicious options to make. If you are gluten-free, serve it with some jeera rice.
Instant pot recipes are very popular as dinner is ready while you finish work. Perfect for busy weeknights. You can make many vegan recipes like in
Top tip: Did you know adding a potato to curry actually can reduce the chili? try it if you accidentally put more chili in your recipe. It will tone down the spice and make it palatable.
Below are the ingredients you need for potato curry.
- curry powder / turmeric powder
- red chili powder / cayenne pepper / paprika
- cumin seeds
- salt as per taste
- olive oil
See recipe card for quantities.
Heat oil in an instant pot on sear/ sauté mode. Now, add some cumin seeds. Add chopped onions and salt. Let it sweat. Add chopped tomatoes once the onions are pink.
Let it cook until it soften. Mix well until the gravy comes together.
Add chopped potatoes and mix well.
Now add water and spices. Add the instant pot lid with the vent on seal position. Cook for 10 minutes on a high pressure. Release after 10 mins.
Once you open the lid, its ready to be served.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves to make a flavorful aloo ki sabzi.
- You can add a tablespoon of besan / chickpea flour while tempering. Roasted besan gives it a great flavor and also increases the protein content.
- aloo ki sabzi can also be made using tomato sauce / tomato paste.
- You can also use baby potatoes to make this vegan potato curry.
- Vegetarian : You can use ghee for tempering the potato masala curry instead of olive oil
- You may make this curry in a saucepan or Dutch oven or traditional pressure cooker.
- You can add a teaspoon mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, handful of curry leaves, some chopped ginger and garlic in tempering.
- You can also add some whole spices like cinnamon, cloves, black pepper or add a spoonful of garam masala powder.
- If you like spicy food, increase the amount of green chilies in the vegetable curry recipe.
- Other ground curry spices that you can add are a teaspoon of ground cumin, dried mango powder.
- instant pot
- food processor optional
Store this curry in an air tight container for 2-3 days in the refrigerator. You can also freeze it for later. Just thaw and reheat before you eat.
Always remove your left overs before you cook.
You may use potato variety which are waxy potatoes like Yukon gold, white potatoes and russet potatoes
Yes it freezes well.
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]:
simple instant pot potato curry recipe
- instant pot
- Food processor optional
- 2 tbsp. olive oil or any vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. cumin seeds
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes chopped or pureed
- 1 tsp. red chili powder / cayenne pepper / paprika adjust as per taste, add more if you like it hot
- 1 teaspoon curry powder adjust as per taste, add more if you like it hot
- 500 gm potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1.5 cup water
- salt as per taste
- Heat oil in an instant pot on sear/ sauté mode. Now, add some cumin seeds. Add chopped onions and salt. Let it sweat.
- Add chopped tomatoes once the onions are pink. Let it cook until it soften. Add spices and mix well.
- Add chopped potatoes and water. Mix well.
- Add the instant pot lid with the vent on seal position. Cook for 10 minutes on a high pressure. Release after 10 mins. Release after 10 mins.
- Once you open the lid, its ready to be served.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Conclusion: potato curry is one of the simplest vegan instant pot recipe you can make. Serve it with any Indian flatbread or white rice.