Mickey mouse certainly made hot dogs famous. traditional hot dogs are sausage based. If your dietary preferences are not the same, you can still enjoy saying yeah dawgs! . You can get classic smoked plant-based frankfurters from market but they are still processed. You can make easy vegan hotdogs at home too. No need to rush to grocery store to get your packets. Whether it is veggie dogs or carrot hot dogs both are amazing vegan recipes in their own league. However, there is another protein rich hot dog recipe you can make easily at home. Tofu hot dogs.
I love using tofu whenever possible. It is a powerhouse of protein yet low in calories. Tofu pulao is an easy one pot meal and eggless mayo gets its perfect texture from soft tofu. You can make air fryer tofu nuggets like chicken nuggets. Sticky tofu is a perfect companion to fried rice if you do not have time to make tofu manchurian. Easy tofu curry comes to rescue when I want to have something similar to Indian curry , matar paneer. If you love your noodles, spicy tofu ramen and pho are just what you need. Chipotle tofu bowl is an easy pick for buddha bowl lovers while satay tofu is just finger licking good for those who love their peanuts.
- buns / hot dog buns
- Soy sauce
- garlic chilli sauce
- barbeque sauce or spice mix
See recipe card for quantities.
Follow the below instructions to make tofu dogs recipe
Cut the tofu lengthwise
Take the sauces and spice, mix them in a pan with water.
soak the tofu pieces into this mix for 3-4 hours, flip over in between. Switch the gas/heat on the pan so that the sauce mix starts to cook
Cover and continue cooking on low flame, pour the hot sauce mix over the tofu during the cook
At the end there will be thick sauce mix left,when most of the sauce has cooked away,turn off the heat.
Serve them warm with store bought hot dog bun and topped with grated white onions or white radish. You can even add some yellow mustard sauce on top.
You can use gluten-free buns for a gluten-free vegan diet. You can also make carrot dogs in this fashion. Another great recipe is veggie hotdogs which is our take on Ikea hot dogs. I love Ikea for doing plant based dishes at a cheap price. Works great for huge families. You can also make vegan hot dogs using soy protein and pea protein based sausages.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes or hot green chilies while cooking to imbue heat into the dish.
- You can also add other spices like onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper to tomato sauce and add it to the above sauce. Adding a teaspoon smoked paprika gives a good smoky flavor.
- You can also make tofu nuggets in this manner. paneer is also a good option for vegetarian hot dogs. Vegan Italian sausage is also a good option if you want to eat it occasionally.
- Other favorite toppings include sundried tomato paste, cashew cheese sauce, sauerkraut and vegan Swiss cheese.
- food processor
Store chopped onions, cooked tofu separately in an air tight container. You can air fry buns for few minutes and reheat the tofu and serve with toppings of your choice.
Tofu needs to be consumed as per the packet instructions else it goes rancid.
Use extra firm or firm tofu for this recipe.
Field Roast Classic Smoked Plant-Based Frankfurters, signature stadium dog ,plant-based corn dogs are easily available online and in local store. soyboy not dogs, upton’s naturals updog , tofu pups, impossible foods are favorite vegan hot dog brands.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
tofu dogs recipe
tofu hot dogs recipe
- 4 hot dog rolls
- onions grated
- Cut the tofu lengthwise
- Take the sauces and spice,mix them in a pan with water,add the tofu pieces and soak them into this mix for 3-4 hours, flip over in between
- Switch the gas/heat on the pan so that the sauce mix starts to cook
- Cover and continue cooking on low flame, pour the hot sauce mix over the tofu during the cook
- At the end there will be thick sauce mix left,when most of the sauce has cooked away,turn off the heat.
- Assemble the tofu dogs between the tiger rolls or buns and add the choice of toppings like
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
Conclusion: vegan dogs are smart dogs indeed. Meat free hot dogs give you the experience while helping you remain kind.