What is tadka dal?
Dal tadka or yellow dal is one of the signature dishes of Indian main course.
You can never ever get bored of it.A good dhaba style dal is a dish you will savor always.I always love having this dish with some jeera rice,matar pulao or a huge bowl of fried rice.Pair it with a Paneer curry,raita and a tandoori roti.This is a perfect vegetarian main course.I am already hungry as I write this 🙂
If you do not want to go elaborate with your menu, pair it with some fried poori or plain basmati rice.
Different types of dal recipes
Dahl is a great source of protein for vegetarians.Do not forget to add a dash of lime juice on top.It increases the flavor as well as help in Iron absorption.
Generally, toor dal is used to make tadka dal.
However, we can used mixed dals too.
This improves nutrient value as well as makes it easy to digest it.
You do not need a meat based diet to get your protein.Lentils are easy to digest as well as cheap.
A packet lasts long and makes multiple meals.
Indian cuisine has a variety of lentils and many ways to use them.Be it as a curry,appetizer and even a dessert.
See the space below to learn how to make mix dal.
Dal Tadka ingredients
Step by step pictures
- Take mixed dal and soak them in water.
- Cook them with water, tomatoes, salt and turmeric.
3. Cook ginger, garlic, chilly with cumin.
4. Add onion and cook until golden brown.
5. Mash the boiled dal.
6. Add onion mix to the dal.
Read the recipe of Dal tadka below:
Dal tadka-Tempered lentil
- 1 cup mixed lentils Masoor(red lentil,Tuvar(pigeon peas),Chana(Split chickpeas),Mung)
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 2-3 to matoes chopped
- 1 tbsp green chilli garlic,ginger each
- 2-3 tbsp Oil for tempering
- Coriander for garnish
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 2-3 dried red chillies
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- Salt as per taste
- Soak lentils/dal in 3 cups of water for 4-6 hours.
- Pressure cook the dal with chopped tomatoes,salt and turmeric.Keep it aside.
- In a pan, heat oil, add cumin seeds and dried chillies and let it splutter.
- Add ginger,garlic,chilli and onions. Let it cook until onions are golden brown.
- Mash the dal and add onions mixture to the dal.
- Let it come to a boil,garnish with chopped coriander leaves
- Serve hot with jeera rice/pulao.
Click here to see more curry recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.