There is nothing better than a fluffy muffins in the West and delicious gulab jamuns in the East, to lift your mood. Gulab jamuns are synonymous with festive season, especially Diwali and chocolate cupcakes are a thing of joy. You may be tired and exhausted but they get you going. A strong cup of coffee and a delicious cupcake can make your day. Here is an Indian fusion recipe which will be the best of both. Gulab jamun cupcakes is a treat to savour.
There are many fusion recipes you can make at home easily. Whether it's gulab jamun ice cream or a rasmalai cheese cake. Gulab jamun cheese cake, carrot halwa cheese cake or an eggless cake custard. You may use a traditional oven or make it as air fryer recipes. Whether it's air fryer brownies or it's making easy banana chocolate chip muffins to use overripe bananas. Other great recipes are banana walnut cake, buckwheat banana muffins, vegan hot cross buns, air fryer Indian cookies (nankhatai) and Xmas cake
Make a fusion recipe combining the both and enjoy the best of both worlds.
What's the secret of a good chocolatey muffin? Tips and tricks to make that perfect double chocolate cup cake.
- Always check the expiry date of your ingredients. Store them correctly.
- Keep everything ready before you start making the batter. This ensures you do not end up mixing too much, which in turn alters the end results.
- Ensure the batter comes together before you pour into cup cake liners.
- You should be able to pour your batter once ready. If it is too thick and dense, you will end up with dry muffins. Adjust the liquid content according to the nature of the batter.
- Try to pour the batter with a large spatula into each muffin liner evenly. If you end up filling one more than the other, it wont look even and bake evenly. Hence, pour equal amounts one by one. Later top up to adjust the quantity.
- Always give them a little tap on your counter once you fill them evenly. This helps remove any air bubbles.
- Also, ALWAYS preheat your oven or air fryer at least for 5-10 minutes.
- Never open and close the oven very fast when you are checking your results. This can result in muffins rising and then falling flat. That is quite depressing though it may still taste good.
- Always prick with a toothpick in the middle of the muffin to see if they are evenly baked. Let them rest at least 10- 15 mins before you cut. I KNOW that this is the hardest part. Especially if you have kids who cannot wait for it to be ready. Keep them distracted for a little while. This will stop them from crumbling when you are ready to cut.
- Air fryer or oven
- stand mixer / whisk
- paper muffin cups / silicone cups / cupcake liners
- cupcake pan
- icing bag
- icing tip of your choice.
- chia seed meal (powdered chia seeds)
- olive oil / sunflower oil / vegetable oil
- raw sugar powdered after measuring
- Self raising flour
- Dutch processed cocoa for best results
- cream cheese
- rose water
- sour cream
- whipping cream
- saffron strands ( in warm milk)
- store-bought gulab jamun tin
refer to the recipe card for details.
- Mix chia seed meal with water. Keep it aside for 10 minutes. Add this to a stand mixer. Beat with oil for 2 minutes. Add milk and sugar, beat for further 2 minutes on medium speed.
2. Sift the dry ingredients(flour and cocoa powder) in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
4. Mix all the ingredients at the slowest speed for 10-15 seconds, do not overmix or use a whisk to mix them manually.
5. Halve the gulab jamuns and place it in all the muffin liners. Pour the chocolate muffin batter evenly in a cup cake liner. Give it a tap to adjust the batter evenly in the muffin tray.
6. For baking in an oven : Bake in a traditional oven @ 170 deg C (fan forced ) for 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
For baking in an air fryer: Pre heat the airfryer for 5 minutes at 160C/320F. Bake these at 160C/320F for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Garnish with cream cheese(refer steps below) and place the remaining half of the Gulab jamun on top.
Gulab jamun cupcake will be a treat to enjoy on your dessert table always!
For cream cheese frosting:
Refer to the Gulab jamun cheese cake recipe to make cream cheese frosting. Here is a collage for your reference on how to make your frosting.
- Add the frosting ingredients to a stand mixer. Whisk on a low setting, until the frosting incorporates well. Do not over beat it.
- Pipe the frosting using wilton icing tip. Place the remaining half of Gulab jamun on top.
Store delicious muffins in an airtight container for 1-2 days at room temperature. Store your Gulab jamun cupcake in refrigerator for a week. I am sure they are gone within days!
You may use mini gulab jamuns tin, available in indian grocery stores or use left over homemade gulab jamuns for this recipe.
- You can use milk chocolate chips instead of dark chocolate chips, as per your taste. You can also use self raising whole wheat flour instead of self raising all purpose flour. However, you might need to increase the liquid content slightly in this case, as whole meal flour is bit dense. Cook time might also increase by few minutes.
- You may make a cardamom cupcake instead of chocolate cake.
- Frosting can be of any flavor you like. Be it rasmalai,rose essence, saffron strands, shrikhand or chocolate.
- Add some extra sprinkles on top as per your taste.
- You can use rose buttercream frosting alternatively to decorate the top of the cupcakes.
If the leavening agents are old or expired, then it will not rise.
Keep it in an aluminum foil.
Gulab jamun muffins recipe | air fryer Gulab jamun cupcake recipe
- Air fryer or oven
- stand mixer / whisk
- paper muffin cups / silicone cups
- muffin pan /muffin tray
- icing tip
- icing bag
- ½ tbsp. rose water / gulab jal
- 1 tbsp. sour cream
- 1 block cream cheese 1 block of cream cheese is 250gm. This ratio is enough for 12-15 muffins
- ¼ cup sugar after grinding
- 100 ml whipped cream
- few strands of saffron, soaked in 1-2 tablespoon milk.
- Mix chia seed meal with water,keep aside for 10 minutes.Add this to a standmixer,beat with oil for 2 minutes. Add the plant based milk and sugar, beat for further 2 minutes on medium speed
- Sift the dry ingredients(flour and cocoa powder)
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mix.
- Mix all the ingredients at the slowest speed for 10-15 seconds, do not overmix or use a whisk to mix them manually.
- Place half the gulab jamun in a muffin cup
- Pour the batter evenly in a cup cake liner. Give it a tap to adjust the batter evenly in the muffin tray.Add chocolate chips on top.
In an oven:
- Bake in a pre heated oven @ 170 deg C (fan forced ) for 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
In air fryer
- Pre heat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 160 deg C/300 deg F. Place the muffin cups filled with batter in an air fryer basket. Bake at 160 deg C/300 deg F for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cool over a wire rack.
For cream cheese frosting
- Add cream cheese blocks in a bowl of electric mixer. Add powdered sugar and start beating this on on medium speed until soft.
- Add sour cream, rose water to the mix once it is soft,Also add the saffron milk mixture and beat it for few minutes until its well combinedIn a seperate bowl,
- Add the whipping cream,Start beating with hand mixer or stand mixer until you get soft peaksAdd this whipping cream to the cream cheese mix,
- Pipe the frosting using any icing tip. Place the remaining half of Gulab jamun on top.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
Conclusion: gulabjamun cake is decadent, whether you have it as a cupcake form or as a cake. It is a sweet treat which fits the bill to everyone's taste buds.