Gulkand barfi is a unique gluten free recipe. This is one of the simplest recipes to cook. You can make it in a jiffy and tastes excellent. If you love cooking with condensed milk, you need not add extra sugar. Here, we make coconut gulkand burfi by adding desiccated coconut to give a twist to your normal coconut barfi. Also, making a barfi without using market based mawa helps you avoid adulteration. Make this exotic yet simple recipe for your gatherings and win friends over with your cooking skills.
What is gulkand?
Gulkand is made from edible rose petals and has a jam preserve like consistency. Ajmer and Pushkar in Rajasthan are famous for it. It is widely used there as it helps you beat heat in the desert. These days you can get ready made preserve and make beautiful recipes. However, the key to check the authenticity of your preserve is, it should not have too much reddish color. Rose preserve is very commonly used in India to prepare sweets. You can store gulkand at home in refrigerator.
- Rose preserve
- Desiccated coconut
- Condensed milk
- Edible dried rose petals
- Heat condensed milk in a non-stick pan for 4-5 mins.
2. Add desiccated coconut to the pan and mix well. Add some ghee and cook for 2 mins until it comes together.
3. Turn off the heat and let it set on a tray. Level with a spatula.
4. Heat water along with rose petals.
5. Add rose preserve to the rose syrup in the pan and mix well. Cook until dry.
6. Spread the mixture as a layer over mawa burfi.
You can also make many other gulkand desserts. Make a mawa gulkand barfi by adding rose preserve to khoya and make a katli or a roll.
You can also make variation of gulkand kaju katli recipe by adding rose preserve to the kaju Katli recipe. This gulkand kaju katli recipe is a vegan fudge and a counterpart to Mawa burfi.
It still needs to be cooked.
Upto 6 months. Refer to the packet for instructions.
There are many medical benefits of eating Gulkand.
Great for digestion.
Helps strengthen teeth and gums
Reduces acidity and bloating.
Treats mouth ulcers
We make katli out of many ingredients. Dry fruit burfi, chocolate, fruits like mangoes and even veggies like bottle gourd and even savory snacks like sev.
Mango kalakand burfi
Til mawa barfi
We can make a lot of things out of it like serve it in betel leaf or paan. You can also make an ice cream from it. Some other gulkand sweets are coconut rolls, gulkand kheer, lassi, modak, petha,phirni,rabri and gulkand ladoo. You can also add it while serving easy paan ice cream.
Store it in refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Gulkand barfi recipe
- non stick pan / granite pan
- greased baking tray or tray lined with baking paper to set the fudge
- 100 gms or ¾ cup or ½ tin condensed milk
- 1 cup finely desiccated coconut
- ½ cup gulkand jam /rose preserve
- ½ cup edible dry rose petals
- 1 teaspoon ghee or clarified butter
- Few pieces of edible silver foil or varq for garnish optional
- Cook condensed milk for 5 minutes on a non-stick pan on low flame
- Add desiccated coconut and cook for 3-4 minutes untill it forms a dough.
- Add 1 teaspoon ghee to it.
- Cook for 2 minutes until you get a homogeneous mix.
- Remove and spread it evenly on tray lined with baking sheet or butter paper.
- Press evenly to form barfi.
- Cook dry rose petals with ¼ cup water and add gulkand.
- Cook it on low flame until the water dries out.
- When it starts getting sticky,turn off the flame and layer it evenly on coconut burfi.
- Cover the burfi with a parchment/baking paper and press lightly to get an even surface.
- Let Refrigerate for 20-25 minutes.
- Always reheat your left overs to avoid food poisoning.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation in the kitchen.