Rose preserve or 'Gulkand' is very commonly used in India to prepare sweets.Here is a unique gluten free mithai -gulkand barfi.
We can make a lot of things out of it like serve it in betel leaf or paan.
You can also make an ice cream from it.
Some other gulkand recipes are coconut rolls,gulkand kheer,phirni and gulkand ladoo.
What is gulkand?
It is basically a jam made out of rose petals.Ajmer and Pushkar in Rajasthan are famous for it.It is widely used there as it helps you beat heat in the desert.These days you can get ready made preserve and make beautiful recipes.
However, the key to check the authenticity of your preserve is,it should not have too much reddish color.
There are many medical benefits of this preserve.
- Great for digestion.
- Helps strengthen teeth and gums,reduces acidity and bloating.
- Treats mouth ulcers and purifies blood.
This is one of the simplest recipes to cook.
You can make it in a jiffy and tastes excellent.If you love cooking with condensed milk, you need not add extra sugar.
Here, we use desiccated coconut to give it a twist on coconut 'barfi'.
We usually serve it for any party or gatherings
Also, making a 'barfi' without using market based 'mawa' helps you avoid adulteration.
Make this exotic yet simple recipe for your gatherings and win friends over with your cooking skills.
Ingredients of gulkand barfi
Step by step pictures of gulkand burfi
Read the recipe of Gulkand barfi:
Gulkand barfi - Rose petal preserve burfi
- 100 gms or ¾ cup or ½ tin condensed milk
- 1 cup finely desiccated coconut
- ½ cup gulkand/rose preserve
- ½ cup edible dry rose petals
- 1 tsp ghee or clarified butter
- Few pieces of edible silver foil or varq for garnish optional
- Cook condensed milk for 5 minutes on a non-stick pan on low flame
- Add desiccated coconut and cook for 3-4 minutes untill it forms a dough..
- Add 1 tsp ghee to it.
- Cook for 2 minutes until you get a homogeneous mix.
- Remove and spread it evenly on tray lined with baking sheet or butter paper.
- Press evenly to form barfi.
- Cook dry rose petals with ¼ cup water ,add gulkand
- Cook gulkand on low flame until the water dries out.
- When it starts getting sticky,turn off the flame and layer it evenly on coconut burfi.
- Cover the burfi with a parchment/baking paper and press lightly to get an even surface.
- Let Refrigerate for 20-25 minutes.
Click sweet for more sweet recipes.
Also,click here to see more recipe videos.