sautéed kale and shiitake mushrooms is a great side dish . It is easy to make this stir fry recipe in a large skillet or a wok. You can serve it with veg fried rice or turmeric rice for an quick meal if you are gluten-free. You can also pair it with a vegan naan.
Kale and mushrooms are a match made in heaven. If you love chickpeas, you can throw in some canned chickpeas to it too.Both kale and mushrooms are superfoods in their own ways. Powerhouse of iron and vitamin D too. You can use kale in different ways. Be it an easy stir-fry, kale chips, soups, kale smoothie and even in lentil and kale salad. Mushrooms can also be used in a soup, mushroom burgers, pot pies, kofta curries , as pasta and pizza toppings and even be air fried. Best part, you can use any type of mushroom for this recipe.
Asian recipes are full of flavor. You can easily make them in a hot wok. Most dishes are actually made with oyster sauce, soy sauce and fish sauce depending on which type of Asian cuisine you are looking at. However, you can easily make them vegan. Soy sauce, vegetable stock powder and Japanese curry block can help you achieve that umami flavor. Though they are famous for seafood and protein, they actually use fresh produce a lot. Hence, are one of the healthiest of cuisines.
- olive oil
- garlic cloves
- cumin seeds
- kale leaves
- salt and black pepper as per taste
- fresh lemon juice
See recipe card for quantities.
Heat olive oil and add chopped garlic cloves to it. Let it splutter and cook until garlic turns golden brown
Add chopped mushrooms to the pan along with salt.
Cover the pan and let it cook for a few minutes until mushrooms soften.
Now add chopped kale leaves to it.Continue to cook until the kale is wilted.
Add stock powder with black pepper. Turn off the heat.
Serve warm after adding a dash of fresh lemon juice
- You can substitute kale with any collard greens or use green leafy vegetables like spinach in this recipe.
- We have used button mushrooms in the recipe. However, you may use shitake mushrooms, portobello or any other variety available to you.
- You can even add canned chickpeas to this recipe to make it more protein rich.
- Other veggies you can add to dish - Brussels sprouts
- If you have left over brown rice, add it to the above recipe and adjust the salt accordingly for a quick meal.
- Increase the heat of the recipe, by serving it with some chili oil. You can also add some crushed black pepper or red chili flakes to make it spicy.
- You can also add condiments like 5 spice powder as per your taste.
- Increase the quantity of lime juice / lemon juice as per your taste.
- You may add some vegetable broth instead of water in the above recipe to make it nutritious.
- wok / deep skillet
Store them in an air tight container. It lasts for 2-3 days. This stir fry also freezes well.
When you wash mushrooms ensure you use a tea towel or a few paper towels to pat them dry. This will help you avoid rubber like texture. Adding lemon juice in the end will help in iron absorption from leafy greens.
Common curly kale, baby kale, dinosaur kale, lacinato kale, tuscan kale are some important varieties of fresh kale.
1. White Button Mushrooms.
2. Cremini mushrooms.
3. Portobello Mushrooms.
4. Shiitake (Forest or Oak)Mushrooms.
5. Oyster mushrooms.
6. Dried Porcini Mushrooms.
7. Morel Mushrooms.
8. Snow Puff or Enoki Mushrooms.
9. Chanterelle (Girolle) or egg mushrooms.
10. Maitake mushrooms.
Sauteed kale and mushrooms recipe
- Food processor optional for chopping kale
- 3-4 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 200 gm shiitake mushrooms washed, pat dried and sliced
- 4 cups kale 2 stems of curly kale
- salt as per taste
- pepper as per taste
- ½ teaspoon stock powder optional
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Heat olive oil in a wok or large sauté pan . Add 3-4 chopped garlic cloves. Let it cook until garlic cloves are brown.
- Add mushrooms with little salt, cover and continue to cook , keep on mixing them after few minutes.
- once the mushroom have cooked ,add chopped kale leaves. Continue to cook until the kale is wilted.
- Add stock powder with black pepper. Turn off the heat.
- Serve after adding a dash of fresh lemon juice.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Conclusion: Sauteed kale and mushrooms is an easy stir fry. When you want to eat healthy stir fry is an easy choice.