Gujaratis make superb sweet and sour delicacies with chickpea flour.Khaman Dhokla,fafda,papdi,gathiya,patra,khandvi each have their own fan following.Muthiya recipe is another such recipe.It comes in many flavors methi or fenugreek,dudhi or bottle gourd and even cabbage.Sometimes you do not get good bottle gourd outside India.Hence, you can make the veggie muthia using its local variety zucchini.Zucchini is a squash similar to ridge gourd.
I make Steamed Zucchini Muthia-Squash dumplings frequently.It is easy to make yet very healthy.Probably one of the best way to use a steamer.
What can you use instead of zucchini?
We use bottle gourd(louki/ghia/dudhi) to make this snack in India.However, it is not so easily available outside the country.Actually,you can also make variety of muthia using different vegetables.Probably,you can mix and match and create your variety.You may use methi, carrot and even shredded cabbage.You may use any other vegetable you may fancy.Zucchini is perfect for muthia because it belongs to the same family as bottle gourd.Steamed and light,yet super tasty.Hence, it gives us almost the similar consistency.
how to make Zucchini muthia?
Read recipe of Steamed Zucchini Muthia-Squash dumplings
Steamed Zucchini Muthia-Squash dumplings
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- ¼ cup grated Onion
- 1¼ cup Wholewheat flour
- 3/4 cup Besan or chickpea flour
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1.5 tsp Ginger paste
- 3 tsp Oil
- Salt as per taste.
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 3-4 green chillies
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- few sprigs of curry leaves
- coriander for garnish
- Grate onion and zucchini and keep it aside.
- Squeeze out water from zucchini and onion.
- Mix all ingredients for the muthia without any water.
- Mix it into soft dough.
- Prepare a steamer and boil 2 cups of water.
- Grease some oil on steamer tray holes.
- Apply some oil on your palms and divide dough in equal portions.
- Shape approximately 5 inches long and 1 inch in diameter.
- Arrange on grease tray and steam it for 20-22 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick in the dough and see if it comes out clean.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes and cut into small pieces.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add all tempering ingredients and let the mustard seeds splutter.
- Then add muthia pieces and stir gently.
- Sauté it until it evenly browns and gets crispy texture.
- Serve hot.
Click here to read more appetizer recipes.
Also, click here for additional vegan recipe videos from our youtube channel "secondrecipe".