Vegan zucchini fritters is an easy breakfast recipe. You can easily make this for lunch boxes and it is full of flavor. It is a savoury fritter or pancake which is quite easy to make. Usually, people make them with eggs. However, this is a vegan and gluten-free version of it.If you are not gluten free, you may make the recipe with wholewheat flour instead of chickpea flour. I personally prefer besan when making it as it is great for protein. I love eating gluten free whenever possible but it has to be egg free.
Zucchinis are cool veggies.You do not need to peel them so its easy to use. You need to peel all other gourds so it takes bit longer. The taste is slightly sweet so you must always wash and taste them before you use it. It can stay outside for a day if you do not want to use it immediately and there is no space in your refrigerator. It is easily available abroad unlike turai and lauki which may not be locally available. Nowadays you get it in India too.
It is quite versatile. Be it in a raw noodle salad or as a muthiya dumpling. You can cook it as an easy curry or add it to your veggie loaf. It closely resembles the besan chilla. Childa or puda as we call it is slighter thinner. Probably I will call it ghara, which went abroad.
- Chickpea flour/besan
- corn flour/maize flour/makki ka atta
- Green chillies
How to make zucchini fritters without egg?
In a large mixing bowl, add grated zucchini and salt. Keep it aside for 10 mins. Water will get separated and it is reduced to 2 cups. Remove the water from the bowl.
3. Once the batter is ready, heat heavy bottom tava or cast iron pan or skillet. Add a spoonful of oil. 4. Take a big scoop of batter and form a patty. Place the fritters on the pan. 5. Cook evenly on both sides. Drizzle more oil if you want it extra crispy.
These fritters made on an iron skillet over medium heat, taste great anytime of the day.
It also tastes great with a dollop of sour cream.
Read the detailed recipe here
Vegan zucchini fritters recipe
- cast iron pan
- 3 cups zucchini grated thick
- 1 teaspoon salt or as per taste
- ¼ cup chickpea flour/besan
- ¼ cup corn flour
- 1 tablespoon green chillies
- 1 teaspoon ginger chopped
- In a bowl, add grated zucchini and salt. Keep it aside for 5 mins. Water will get separated and zucchini is later reduced to 2 cups. Remove the water from the bowl.
- Mix the remaining ingredients to this zucchini bowl so that you form a thick batter.
- Heat heavy bottom tava or cast iron pan. Add a spoonful of oil.
- Place the zucchini fritters on the pan.
- Cook evenly on both sides.Drizzle more oil if you want it extra crispy.
The above recipe is a vegan gluten-free version. However, you can always add an egg if you love them. If you do not get zucchini near you, replace it with lauki/bottle gourd or turai/ ridge gourd. You can also make this recipe with some whole wheat flour if not vegan.Adjust accordingly. This recipe can also be made in an air fryer but we will update that one soon so that you get a perfect low oil fritter.
You can add chopped capsicum and corn to this. You can also add grated carrots or chopped green onions as a variation to this zucchini fritter recipe.
What goes with vegan zucchini fritters?
Why are my fritters soggy?
If you have not squeezed out the excess liquid from grated zucchini completely the batter will be loose and it will turn out soggy. Add some more chickpea flour to the batter in order to fix it.
How to make zucchini fritters crispy?
You can add a spoonful of rice flour for nice crispy fritters.
Need more besan recipes?
- Besani -chickpea flour flatbread
- Bread pakoda
- Paneer pakoda
- Batata vada/air -fried aloo bonda
- Sanna pakoda/Sindhi onion pakora
- Baked onion pakoras
Also, click here to see recipe videos from our YouTube channel "Secondrecipe".