Asparagus is a spearhead of nutrients. It is easily available in spring season and relatively quite easy vegetable to cook. You can grill it or roast it with veggies. Another good way of having it is making air fryer asparagus. It is an easy sides and needs less than 10 mins of cook time.
Air fryer asparagus and mushrooms are a great combination too. You can also top it with some garlic oil. Other combinations are air fryer potatoes and asparagus, air fry asparagus and zucchini. Another good combination is asparagus and squash in air fryer.
- Is thick or thin asparagus better?
- Which part of asparagus is edible?
- Is purple asparagus better than green?
- Do you wash asparagus before roasting?
- Benefits of Asparagus
- How to make air fryer asparagus?
- Air fryer frozen asparagus
- Related links
- Air fried asparagus | Frozen asparagus in air fryer
Top tips: If you are not familiar with asparagus (or shatavari), there are definitely some questions you get when you first buy it. It took me a while to understand and find how to select a good bunch of asparagus. Here are some tips which will help you choose a good bunch.
Is thick or thin asparagus better?
When you look at it in the market, you will find it in bunches. Air frying asparagus with thicker stems is better as they are more fleshy. You must apply oil on the spear head too so that it does not dry due to high temperature. It should be rich green in color and it fades towards the stem. Tips might look green or have purple shade to it. Thin asparagus dries very fast in an air fryer as it does not have that much flesh.
Which part of asparagus is edible?
Except for woody stem, you can eat it whole.
Is purple asparagus better than green?
Purple is sweeter and used raw, usually in salads.
Do you wash asparagus before roasting?
Wash and rinse before you use. However, wash only when you are ready to use immediately.
Benefits of Asparagus
- It is rich in folate.
- Rich source of fiber, vitamin A, C,E,K
- It also helps weight-loss.
- It helps prevent cancer.
- Packed with anti-oxidants too.
- Natural diuretic.
- Air fryer
- 2 bunches asparagus
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper as per taste
How to make air fryer asparagus?
- Choose asparagus that is fresh and has thick stems and tips. The thinner asparagus will take less time to cook. Trim the hard brown stem at the bottom of asparagus. Wash it well.
Drizzle oil on the stems along with some sea salt.
Preheat the air fryer at 180 C|350 F for 10 minutes. Air fry the asparagus for 7-8 mins.
Air fryer frozen asparagus
To cook air fry frozen asparagus, just follow the above steps and cook for a total of 9-10 minutes i.e. 2 more minutes than in the case of fresh asparagus.
You can air fry it or add a slice along the stem. Non-vegetarians generally wrap a slice of ham around it and grill it. Vegans and vegetarians can also enjoy the same recipe, using a thin slice of zucchini instead. It is easy finger food which even young kids will enjoy. You can also stir fry asparagus or add them to fried rice/noodles.
Instructions for Asparagus spears with Zucchini wraps
- Wash asparagus and zucchini well.
2. Shave off slices of Zucchini lengthwise using a peeler
3. Drizzle oil on top of asparagus ,especially on tips so that they do not burn , season with salt and pepper. (same as step 2 above)
4. In the same tray, grease the zucchini slices with leftover oil. Start wrapping them around the asparagus
5. Wrap all asparagus spears with zucchini slices.
6. Preheat the air fryer at 190 deg C / 375 F for 10 mins.
Layer the spears in the air fryer tray. Air fry it at 190 deg C / 375 deg F for 7-8 mins
- Serve immediately warm as a side.
If you are vegetarian, you may use butter for cooking asparagus in air fryer, instead of olive oil. You can also garnish it with grated cheese or nutritional yeast on top. You can also make the above recipe as a purple asparagus recipe.
You can also cook frozen asparagus in air fryer, just let it thaw first for 15 minutes and cook for an extra 2-3 minutes in a pre-heated air fryer.
Store it in refrigerator for 1-2 days. Air fry for couple of mins before you serve. It is always best to eat fresh.
Yes it is a diuretic. It helps flush out toxins from kidney.
Asparagus activates the liver functions as it is a diuretic.
It is called as shatavari. Satawar or shatamull are other names. Shatavari powders are recommended for breastfeeding , for new moms.
Air fried asparagus | Frozen asparagus in air fryer
- 2 bunch asparagus 1 bunch has 8 asparagus spears and 200gm
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt as per taste.
- Choose asparagus that is fresh and has thick stems and tips. The thinner asparagus will take less time to cook. Trim the hard stems at the bottom of asparagus
- Drizzle oil on top of asparagus ,especially on tips so that they do not burn , season with salt.
- Preheat the air fryer at 180 C | 350 F for 5minutes. Air fry the asparagus for 7-8 minutes.
- Serve hot.
how to cook frozen asparagus in air fryer
- To cook air fry frozen asparagus, just follow the above steps and cook for a total of 9-10 minutes i.e. 2 more minutes than in the case of fresh asparagus.