Okra is called 'Bhindi' in Hindi (native Indian language) .Bhindi masala or bhindi fry is one of the easiest Indian curries. bhindi or bendakaya is commonly known as okra ladies finger in India. It might look slimy to some but it has beautiful yellow flowers just before the vegetable starts to grow. You may fry it to make your kurkuri bhindi, air fry it or have it pan fried. However, frying okra takes lot of oil.
Learn to make this air fryer okra curry recipe here. You can also make this crispy okra with corn meal. We make a Sindhi okra curry in a pan with okra, potatoes and tomatoes. You can also coat it with gram flour and cook it with some peanuts.
Okra is an easy veggie. You can always buy it frozen okra if raw is not available in season. It cooks fast and most kids like it. You can pair it with rice or roti for a quick meal. However for crispy and kurkuri air fried bhindi. The best results for this air fryer recipe when cooked with fresh and young okra.
There are many air fryer recipes you can make with veggies too. air fryer brussel sprouts, air fryer potatoes, air fryer asparagus, air fryer corn, air fryer zucchini , air fryer yellow squash, air fryer red sweet potato, air fryer sweet potato ,air fryer whole cauliflower, air fryer mushrooms, air fryer beans, air fryer whole mushrooms ,air fried broccoli are some easy air frying recipes. Surprised? It is not just for frozen fries and pizzas. There is a huge range of recipes you can make.
- air fryer
- mixing bowl
- oil spray
- Okra / Bhindi
- turmeric powder(optional)
- red chili powder / paprika
- Coriander powder
- garam masala / pav bhaji masala or any masala mix
- salt as per taste
Wash and dry the fresh okra.
Cut it down in small pieces. (ignore the tops)
Toss the okra with 1/1.5 tablespoon oil
Preheat the air fryer for 10 mins at 170 C| 340 F and place the okra in the basket without overlap. Air fry it for 10 mins at 170 C| 340 F.
In a mixing bowl, add the semi air fried okra spices and 1 tablespoon oil.
Now, further air fry the okra/bhindi 7-9 mins at 170 C | 340 F.
Cook more if you like it more crispy, serve with roti.
Variation - Air fried bhindi with onion
- Wash and dry the fresh okra. Cut it down in small pieces. Toss the okra with 1/1.5 tablespoon oil
- Preheat the air fryer for 10 mins at 170 C| 340 F and place the vegetable in the basket without overlap and drizzle oil on it. Air fry it for 10 mins at 170 C| 340 F.
- In a mixing bowl, add the semi air fried okra to sliced onions, red chili powder, ginger and garlic along with salt.
- Add the spices, oil with okra and onion.The onion and ginger/garlic is optional.
- Now, air fry the onions along with okra again for 8-10 mins at 170 C | 340 F.
- Coo for few more minutes if you like it more crispy
Serve hot with rice or roti.
You can use frozen okra instead of raw for air fry okra. Cooking time might vary slightly.
You can add air fried potatoes to this above curry to make your own version of air fryer bhindi aloo.
You can also add some amchur or dry mango powder or lemon juice for more tangy air fryer roasted okra recipe.
Store this gluten free cut okra curry for 2-4 days in refrigerator.
Always reheat the left overs. You may even add a paprika while reheating to make it extra spicy.
It is a good source of folates and very beneficial for pregnant women.
It aids digestion as it has a lot of fiber in it. Helps relieve constipation, bloating.
air fryer okra curry | air fried bhindi masala
- Mixing bowl
- 500 gm okra
- 2-3 tbsp. oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder or pav bhaji masala or any masala mix
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder optional
- ½ tbsp. red chilli powder /paprika
- salt as per taste
Optional ingredients for variations
- 2 small onions red onion or white onion,optional
- 1 tbsp. ginger-garlic- green chilli chopped,optional
- Wash and dry the fresh okra.Cut it down in small pieces.Toss the okra with 1/1.5 tablespoon oil
- Preheat the air fryer for 10 mins at 170 C| 340 F and place the vegetable in the air fryer basket without overlap. Air fry it for 10 mins at 170 C| 340 F.
- In a mixing bowl, add the semi air fried okra spices and 1 tablespoon more oil.
- Now, further air fry the okra/bhindi 7-9 mins at 170 C | 340 F.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove.
Please share your inputs..