Shravan is the holy festive month.There is a huge list of festivals which come during this month like Nag Panchami,Rakhi,Teejri,Thadri,Varalakshmi vrat etc.Sindhis celebrate Nandhi and Vaddi thadri in Shravan.While Nandhi thadri(Choti thadri) comes after Nag panchami, Vaddi Thadri /Badi thadri/ 'Badi Satain' comes on 7th day after Rakshabandhan. Some people also call it as saatam aatham or basoda.We celebrate this festival just before Janamashtami and worship Goddess Jogmaya/Sitla mata.We observe 'Thado'.It means we consume cold food that day.Food is cooked a day ahead.We especially prepare Sindhi flatbreads (Lolo,Chauthe & Besani).
What is Thadri and who do we pray to?
We pray to Goddess Sheetla Mata.She is regarded as the incarnation of 'Chandi mata'.Mothers generally sing the folk song 'Thaar maata Thaar Mujhe bacchiyan he thaar' as a prayer to Sheetla Mata.
This is a prayer to save the children from life threatening diseases like smallpox and measles.
Sindhi Thadri recipes are easy to cook.
Mitho Lolo or Lola is a traditional Sindhi sweet 'roti'.
We also make matho or dahi boondi, satpuras etc are prepared a day before.
Mitho lolo and Chauthe are power packed with ghee and jaggery so is a good source of Iron and calcium.
Besani is power packed with chickpea flour or besan so great for having proteins.
All the 3 flatbreads are great during travel.You can have them with some spicy mango pickle.Great for long train and bus journey.
Why does my chauthe break during frying?
If there is a lot of ghee in the dough,then chauthe will break.
Step by Step pictures of the recipe
1.Mix all ingredients and knead into a semi hard dough
2.keep the dough aside for 30 mins
3.roll into a thick flatbread,cut into 4 pieces,make few incisions
4.Fry them on low heat under golden brown
Read the Sindhi flatbread-Chauthe recipe
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup jaggery
- ½ cup water
- 2-3 tbsp oil/ghee for the dough
- 4-5 cardamom crushed
- 2 cup oil/ghee for frying
- Take water at room temperature in a bowl.Add jaggery,Keep it aside for 2-3 hours/overnight.
- Mix wheat flour and desi ghee in a bowl with pinch of salt and cardamom.
- Pour the jaggery syrup little by little and knead a semi hard dough.
- Take a handful size dough and with a rolling pin roll it to a thick paratha.
- With the help of knife cut it into triangle shape.
- Prick on both the sides so that it gets fried properly inside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry it on both the sides till golden brown on a low flame
- Let these cool and later store it in airtight container.
Looking for thadri recipes?
- Mitho lolo
- Sanna pakoda
- Koki/Sindhi onion flatbread
- Kali mirch koki/Black pepper flatbread
- Bhugal mawa/Milkcake
Click here to see more Satam/Atham recipes .
Click here to read additional Sindhi recipes.
Also, click here to watch additional recipe videos.