Shravan is a month full of festivals. Sindhis celebrate many festivals during this month. Most important ones are 'Nandhi satain' which comes after Nag Panchami.‘Vaddi Satain‘ comes after 7th day after Rakshabandhan. It is also called as saatam aatham. This is an important Sindhi festival. We celebrate this festival just before Janamashtami. This day we pray to Goddess Jogmaya or Sheetla mata for good health and prosperity.
Thaar maata Thaar is a popular folk song with this festival. Mothers sing this prayer for the safety of kids from deadly diseases like small pox and measles. We do a chanda on toddlers while singing the song. We first apply sindoor or vermillion on small lolos and put it a sieve on their head. Later sprinkle some raw milk on them.
How to we observe Thadri?
We observe ‘Thado’.It means we consume cold food that day. As a mark of respect, we do not light the stove that day. Food is cooked a day earlier. Mitho lolo/gur jo lolo. This is the Sindhi mithi roti. This sweet flatbread is also called lola. It is one of the main recipes prepared for the festival. It is very similar to Punjabi tikde.
What do we cook?
Apart from Sindhi lola with jaggery there are many special recipes which are eaten cold on the next day.They are sanna pakoda. No one can make double fried pakodas like Sindhis do. Chauthe,besani, koki,dal parantha. We also make matho, dahi boondi, satpuras, nijji palak. We also eat Dahi bade. Other milk based sweets like peda, kheer etc are cooked.
This is also a great travel recipe otherwise too. It has natural sugar from jaggery which is also a good source of Iron and the goodness of Ghee for calcium. Also, good for toddlers to chew while teething in small amounts.
Watch the video of Sindhi lola recipe
Step by Step pictures of the mitho lolo recipe
- Mix flour, cardamom, salt and ghee until it starts coming together.
- Add jaggery water and knead into a semi soft dough
3. Start rolling the a portion of the dough in a thick flatbread.
4. Cook on a hot pan on low heat. Once cooked, take off from the pan and apply ghee.
Read the recipe of Mitho lolo
Sindhi flatbread-Mitho lolo
- 2 cups whole wheat flour/atta
- 3/4 cup jaggery/gud powdered/cut in small pieces
- 3/4 cup water/pani
- 4 tbsp ghee for the dough
- 1 tbsp cardamom/elaichi powder
- 1 tbsp ghee to apply on top of cooked flatbread
- Take water at room temperature in a bowl. Add jaggery and leave it aside for few hours/overnight
- Let the jaggery dissolve completely.This will take 2-3 hours.
- In a bowl,first mix wheat flour and 4 tbsp desi ghee.
- Mix it until it starts coming together,add more ghee if required.
- Pour the jaggery syrup little by little and knead it to a semi-firm dough.
- Take a handful size dough and with a rolling pin roll it to a thick flatbread .
- Put it on hot griddle,Cook on lowest possible flame.
- Flip at regular intervals until brown patches appear on both sides.
- After removing from tawa,optionally apply a little more ghee over the lolo.
Click here to read more Sindhi recipes.
Also click here to see more recipe videos.