Sindhi recipe collection has many exotic recipes. Usually, Sindhi dishes name which will come to your mind are Papad and Sindhi Kadhi. However, you will find all kinds of vegan, gluten free vegetarian and non vegetarian recipes in our daily diet. While the sweets like Karachi halwa ,khorak and Bhugal mawa (milk cake) are unique and rich.Delicately spiced rice recipes like thoom ware chawar,bhuga chawar and Sindhi Tairi provides a balance to all those rich gravies and nut based sweets. Rice in Sindhi is called chawar while Bhuga means cooked until brown. The lovely dark brown colour of the onion gives plain rice a delicate flavor.This Sindhi chawal is a classic comfort food and a family favourite.
Tahiri is a Sindhi style sweet rice preparation that is made with jaggery or palm sugar and dates for slightly sweet touch. Bhugha chawar on the other hand has the flavor of caramelised onions. Both are delicious and totally Yum Yum yum!
Other easy sindhi recipes that you can make include Dal pakwan, Kali mirch koki, Onion koki , sindhi kadhi, bhuga chawar, sindhi tomato kadhi , sindhi chauthe, sindhi besani ,sindhi tairi ,sindhi papad , sindhi mitho lolo , Sindhi onion pickle and do not forget Khorak.
Serving suggestion: We usually serve both these recipes with Sindhi Sai bhaji or Sai Palak and fried potato chips. Pair this with aloo tuk (potatoes) or arbi tuk (taro) for a complete Sindhi meal.However on weekdays, you can serve it as Sindhi dal chawal when pairing it with simple yellow dal or just with raita or greek yogurt.
- Basmati rice
- Ghee or oil if vegan
- Bay leaves
- Black pepper corns
- Salt as per taste
Refer to recipe card for details.
Frying pan/ sauce pan
1. Cook onions with little salt in oil and cumin until dark brown.2. Add other spices.
3. Now, add rice to the frying pan. Mix well. (Note: Rinse rice well and if possible soak it for 20 minutes for a quick cook.)
For vegetarian : Use ghee to fry onions, at a low flame for this Sindhi pulao. Serve it with yogurt or raita.
I can have this rice anytime of the day. Best made after a long day at work. Who knew very simple dishes could have such a beautiful taste? You can also make a variations too.Add some fried cashews or garnish with some roasted cashews in the end. Some people also like to add potato and peas to the above recipe while cooking rice.
You can also caramalize onions in air fryer and add it with teaspoon of oil for tempering. Saves time and effort. Add red paprika as per your choice if you do not have black pepper. You may increase the red chili powder as per your taste.
It lasts 2-3 days in refrigerator. Steam the rice before you serve.
Pulao is made by absorption method of water while cooking rice. Rice is par boiled and drained out and layered in biryani.
- Turai Dal chawar-Ridge gourd lentil meal
- Sindhi Tomato Kadhi | Tamatar ji kadhi
- Thooma ware chawar | Sindhi green garlic rice
- Tomato rice
- Rajma Chawal
- Sindhi Tairi
- Palak rice
Bhuga chawara | sindhi bhuga chawal recipe
- frying pan
- 1 cup rice
- 1 onion chopped
- 2-3 tablespoon ghee or oil
- 3-4 bay leaf / tej patta
- 7-8 black pepper corns
- Salt as per taste
- 2 -¼ cups water
- In a pan,add ghee or oil and let it heat.
- Now add onions, salt and let it cook until dark brown.(Ensure it is not burnt but darkest brown possible)
- Add bay leaves,pepper and cook for 5 mins.
- Add rice ,salt and water.
- Cook until rice softens.
- Serve with fried potatoes and sai bhaji.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation while cooking.
Conclusion: Make everyday cooking fun by swapping plain rice with some Sindhi brown rice made with caramelized onions.This easy rice recipe will transform your boring white rice to a delicious new level.