Sindhi and Punjabi cuisine is very similar. So are the nature of communities.Both communities make some common recipes due to proximity of region.Here is a recipe of simple Sindhi Aloo wadi which is a flavorful curry.It is a traditional curry which you can make when there are no veggies at home.You just need a tomato gravy for it.Simple yet flavorful.
What are wadiya?
During Partition, both communities faced a lot.They started with whatever little they had.They worked hard.After partition, they started business and shops.Many became restaurateurs and hoteliers.Some sold 'golgappas' on street.Many started 'chaat bhandars' across India.Many started cottage industries.Prepared home made 'khiche','kachri','aloo papad','wadiya' and 'moong papad'.Women worked from home while men sold these on bicycles.Even today, you will find this industry thriving. We make it using lentil paste.It is then rolled via rolling pin. You can make it in many variants of flavors and heat.Some like it plain,while others spicy. We then mix chunks of lentils with salt.Dry them in a dehydrator or in hot summer sun. Store in a clean dry container, when they turn hard enough. All you need is some basic spices, tomatoes and potatoes.
Aloo vadi recipe step-by-step:
Read the recipe of Sindhi Aloo wadi below
Sindhi Aloo wadi
- 1 medium potato
- 100 grams Urad dal wadi
- 3 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 medium onion chopped finely
- 3 large tomatoes pureed
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 cup water
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- For garnish: Fresh coriander leaves
- Peel and quarter the potatoes.
- Break the dal wadiyan into large pieces.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add wadi pieces and sauté them for 4 to 5 minutes or until they become brown. Drain on tissue paper.
- In the same oil add cumin seeds.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and Onion. Fry until well browned.
- Add tomatoes and all dry masalas. Mix well and fry till the oil separate out.
- Add potatoes and wadis. Sauté for two minutes.
- Add water and wait for 3 whistles on medium to slow flame.
- Open the lid when the pressure has reduced completely.
- Sprinkle garam masala powder and fresh coriander.
- Serve hot with roti or white rice.
You may choose not to fry the wadi, this might break/crumble them more while cooking.
Try these interesting potato recipes:
Click here for reading more Sindhi recipes.
Also,click here to see more recipe videos from our youtube channel "secondrecipe".