Sindhi and Punjabi cuisine is very similar. So are the nature of communities.Both communities make some common recipes due to proximity of region.Here is a recipe of simple Sindhi Aloo wadi which is a flavorful curry. It is a traditional curry which you can make when there are no veggies at home. You just need a tomato gravy for it. Simple yet flavorful.
What are wadiya?
During Partition, both communities faced a lot. They started with whatever little they had. They worked hard. After partition, they started business and shops. Many became restaurateurs and hoteliers. Some sold golgappas on street. Many started chaat bhandars across India. Many started cottage industries. Prepared home made khiche or khichiya, kachri, aloo papad', alu wadi and moong papad. Women worked from home while men sold these on bicycles. Even today, you will find this industry thriving in Sindhi colonies across India. I had a wonderful time buying all kinds of Amritsari aloo wadi in the markets during my foodie vacation in Punjab.
How to make wadiyan at home?
- We first prepare a lentil paste.
- Add different flavors and heat. Some like it plain,while others spicy.
- It is then rolled via rolling pin.
- We then mix chunks of lentils with salt.
- Dry them in a dehydrator or in hot summer sun.
- Store in a clean dry container, when they turn hard enough.
- Urad dal wadi
- Cumin seeds
- Ginger garlic paste
- Tomatoes puree
- Coriander powder
- Turmeric powder
- Red chili powder
- Garam masala
- Salt as per taste
- Fresh green coriander leaves
How to make aloo wadiyan?
1) Peel and quarter the potatoes in small pieces. Keep it aside.
2) Break the dal wadiyan into large pieces.
3) Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add wadi pieces and sauté them for 4 to 5 minutes or until they become brown. Drain on tissue paper.
4) In the same oil add cumin seeds.
5) Add ginger-garlic paste and onions. Fry until onion masala is golden brown.
6) Add tomato puree and all dry masalas. Mix well and stir fry till the oil separate out.
7) Now, add the chopped potatoes and wadis. Sauté for two minutes.
8) Add water and wait for 3 whistles on medium to slow flame.
9) Open the lid when the pressure has reduced completely.
10) Sprinkle garam masala powder and chopped coriander leaves.
11) Serve hot with roti or white rice.
Read the recipe of Sindhi Aloo wadi below
Sindhi Aloo wadi
- pressure cooker
- 1 medium potato
- 100 grams Urad dal wadi
- 3 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 medium onion chopped finely
- 3 large tomatoes pureed
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 cup water
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- For garnish: Fresh coriander leaves
- Peel and quarter the potatoes.
- Break the dal wadiyan into large pieces.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add wadi pieces and sauté them for 4 to 5 minutes or until they become brown. Drain on tissue paper.
- In the same oil add cumin seeds.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and Onion. Fry until well brown.
- Add tomatoes and all dry masalas. Mix well and fry till the oil separate out.
- Now, add potatoes and wadis. Sauté for two minutes.
- Add water and wait for 3 whistles on medium to slow flame.
- Open the lid when the pressure has reduced completely.
- Sprinkle garam masala powder and fresh coriander.
- Serve hot with roti or white rice.
You may choose not to fry the wadi, this might break/crumble them more while cooking.
You can add some peas and carrots to the recipe if you like. You can also cook the curry in an instant pot.
What are interesting potato curries?
- Aloo gobi matar
- Baingan aloo
- Aloo matar
- Dum aloo
- Bedmi puri and aloo sabzi
- Singhi aloo- Moringa curry
Click here for reading more Sindhi recipes.
Also,click here to see more recipe videos from our youtube channel "secondrecipe".