Mixed vegetable curries are a blessing in disguise. They taste delicious and help you use any leftover vegetables that is left over in the fridge. Veg Kadai, veg balti and mix veg jalfrezi are stir-fry veggies which are very popular. We cook it in a spicy tomato sauce. Most families usually order it, along with a dal tadka or dal makhani. The popularity of this spicy curry can be known by the numerous ready-to-make pastes, you can see abroad. However, you do not need to buy a new jalfrezi paste for this. Just use our authentic curry paste and cook this easy recipe and make every weeknight special.
Most people in Indian subcontinent were vegetarians and there was no cooling systems available to store vegetables for long. Non-vegetarians also added some meat to mixed veg curries as most people could not afford to feed everyone meat in large families. Other mixed vegetable curries are Kerala style veg korma & avial, Gujarati undhiyu, Sindhi sat bhajiyun, Sindhi kadhi , South Indian sambar and North indian style air fryer mixed vegetables. Other curries are Japanese golden curry, Thai Massaaman curry, Northern Khao soi. Best served with fresh naan , jeera rice and mango chutney.
Veg jalfrezi curry is something which has been close to my heart for long. One of the earliest curries I cooked in my rasoi. My family really loves this recipe. You can also use left over curry as a sandwich filling the next day.
I use a prepared pste
- Homemade authentic Indian curry sauce
- ginger-garlic paste
- spices(curry powder/ turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder ,garam masala powder)
- green beans (fresh or frozen)
- yellow, green or red bell peppers whatever is available
- corn (fresh or frozen)
- Firm tofu for vegan jalfrezi recipe (can be replaced with paneer/Indian cottage cheese if not vegan)
See recipe card for quantities.
The below recipe needs the Indian onion tomato paste, you can prepare from scratch or use the recipe from our post below
- Heat oil in a pan, add onions,ginger with salt.
2. Once cooked, add tomatoes, cook until soft on medium-high heat. Add spices and mix well.
3. Continue to cook until it starts to ooze oil.
4. Add sliced carrots and beans to the curry.
5. Add tofu pieces, once they are slightly cooked,
6. Now, add water and let it come to a boil.
7. Add fresh or frozen corn to it.
8. Add sliced capsicum to it ,cover and cook for few minutes. Turn off.
Hint: You may even freeze this curry for later.
- Vegan- instead of cottage cheese, you can make tofu jalfrezi. You may even make it without any protein. Just vegan vegetable jalfrezi also tastes great.
- You can use frozen veggies to make this recipe if you do not have raw ones. This also cuts the cook time. Usually you get a pre-cut frozen packet which has carrots, beans and corn and peas
- Vegetarian - If you do not get cottage cheese nearby to make paneer jalfrezi, you may use halloumi.
- Non-vegetarians can also make chicken jalfrezi too in a similar fashion.
- Spicy - Add some chopped green chili to make this recipe hotter.
- You may use any veggie available in the kitchen to make this recipe like cauliflower florets.
- Kid friendly - This is a spicy curry but you can always tone it down to meet your dietary requirements.
You may make this dry curry in an instant pot or a frying pan.
Store this curry for 3-5 days in the refrigerator.You can also freeze them for a longer shelf life.
Cook your veggies al-dente. If it is over cooked, you will lose the crunch of this curry.
Add a squeeze of lemon juice on top, to enhance the flavor.
It originates from Bengal where jal meaning spicy and frezi, meaning stir-fry.
We generally add carrots, bell peppers, green beans, baby corn, sweet corn and green peas are the vegetables in veg jalfrezi recipe.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with this recipe:
Vegetable jalfrezi recipe
- Food processor optional
- Pot / casserole
- 1 cup homemade authentic curry sauce recipe here onion tomato paste or make it fresh below
Indian curry paste
optional step - Make fresh indian curry paste or use the one prepared in advance.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onions,ginger with salt.Once cooked, add tomatoes, cook until soft on medium-high heat. Add spices and mix well.
- Add sliced carrots and beans to the curry.
- Once they are slightly cooked, add tofu pieces,cook for few minutes
- Now, add water and let it come to a boil.
- Add fresh or frozen corn to it. Mix well.
- Add sliced capsicum to it ,cover and cook for few minutes. Turn off.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Conclusion: restaurant style vegetable jalfrezi is a delish mixed veg curry which tastes great with any flatbread or rice. Perfect for any menu!