Potato leek soup is an easy starter. It is a creamy soup without cream is simply a delight. Pair it with some garlic bread. You are good to go for dinner. This is an easy vegan soup which has minimal ingredients. This soup has its origins in French Cooking. Loius Diat, at Ritz Carlton New York is most often credited for its re-invention.
Minimal ingredients yet this soup slowly grows on you. Pair it with some homemade bread. You are sorted. Great for days when you do not want to cook much.
Perfect when it rains outside. Sometimes, its better to swap pakora/fritters for French potato soup. Both potatoes and leeks last long. They are pretty versatile as fillings. Be it a toast, casserole or gratin.
What to do If you do not have leeks at home?
You can then use white or green onions in the soup. It gives same texture.
Benefits of soups
- Soups are great for hydration.
- Deep cleans us from inside.
- Improves your digestion.
- Helps in weight-loss.
- Great for gut health.
- Builds health.
Benefits of leeks & potatoes
- Leeks are great for Vitamin A, C and K.
- It is also a great source of fiber.
- They promote weight loss.
- Low in calories as it has only 31 calories for 100 grams of cooked leeks.
- Potatoes are great for Vitamin B6.
- They do not have fat, sodium and cholesterol. (Poor potato, still blamed for making us fat!)
- They have more potassium than a banana.
- Potatoes can make up for half of your Vitamin C.
- Garlic reduces BP and lowers cholesterol.
- Garlic combats sickness and has many medicinal properties.
How do you make easy potato leek soup from scratch? Scroll below and find out.
- Chop all the ingredients.
2. Sauté garlic in oil/butter.
3. Cook leeks with salt.
3. Add Potatoes.
4. Add water & soup stock, cover & boil. Blend and sieve through.
Read the potato and leek recipe below
Potato and leek soup
- 1 full leak chopped
- 2 potatoes diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp soup stock powder/cube
- Salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a pan
- Add garlic,saute until golden brown.
- Add leek with little salt,saute for 5 minutes
- Add potatoes,cook for further 5 minutes
- Add 1 litre of water with salt,soup stock and garlic powder
- Cover and cook until the potato is cooked.
- Blender with a hand blender and pass it through a sieve.
Click here to see more recipe videos.