Curried scrambled Tofu is a great alternative to dairy based paneer bhurji and egg bhurji.It is vegan and gluten free and a great way to eat tofu. It is also an excellent source of protein and has vareiety of health benefits.Nowadays, you can get tofu easily at the supermarket. Hence, it makes up for a low carb easy dinner or lunch and is ready in 10 minute cook time.Use a firm tofu for this recipe and save money instead of eating out on a late evening.
There are many recipes you can make using a block of tofu. Whether its tofu vindaloo, pho or tofu ramen. Tofu masala curry or crispy satay tofu. Air fryer sticky tofu or eggless mayo. Chipotle tofu bowl has a fan following of its own while tofu nuggets is an easy option to those who miss their chicken nuggets. Tofu manchurian is a great alternative to chili paneer. Vegan tofu hot dogs can even make Mickey mouse wonder while tofu pulao makes up for paneer in an Indian pulao recipe.
Top tip: tofu bhurji gets its eggy flavor from kala namak or black salt. You can serve it as breakfast burritos as above. Another way you can serve it as, weeekend breakfast with avocado toast and hot sauce. Serve it as an elaborate sunday brunch with hashbrowns, whole grain toast, roasted potatoes, avocado slices, cherry tomatoes and baked beans curry.Weekend breakfast never looked better at home!
- Frying pan
- Food processor optional
Benefits of tofu
- Soy milk bean tofu is low calorie and excellent source of calcium.
- It provides around 40 % of daily calcium needs and also has 40% of Iron.
- It is the one of the best resource of plant-based protein.
- Tofu also has zero cholesterol.
- tofu ( I prefer firm tofu, you can use silken, but it will just take more time to cook)
- bell peppers
- garlic cloves
- Spice mix
- turmeric powder / curry powder
- red chili powder optional
- cumin powder
- Dash of lemon optional
- Black salt as per taste
- olive oil
Refer to recipe card for details.
Heat oil in a pan and add onions,crushed ginger and garlic to it. Saute for 2-3 minutes till the onions turn pink.
Add the sliced bell peppers to it and salt mix well. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add grated tofu with curry powder along with cumin powder and black salt/sea salt
Cook for 5 minute on low flame, Add soya sauce and continue to cook for 5-7 minutes.turn off the heat and garnish with fresh coriander and lemon juice.
If you do not have firm tofu, you can use silky tofu to make an Indian style vegan scramble.
Silken tofu has more water content hasnce it takes more
You may add various vegetables in this recipe like shiitake mushrooms, yellow & red peppers, onions, peas, tomatoes to make a delicious tofu scramble. You can add different spices like garam masala powder,coriander powder, cumin powder.
You can store upto 4-5 days in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. You can also freeze this recipe however you may lose the fluffiness due to water content later. Always reheat your leftovers before you consume.
1 egg= ¼ cup tofu.
It means it is spoilt and should be discarded.
Curried scrambled tofu recipe
- Food processor
- Heat oil in a pan and add onions,ginger and garlic to it. Saute for 2-3 minutes till the onions turn pink.
- Add the sliced bell peppers to it and salt mix well. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add grated tofu with curry powder along with cumin powder and black salt/sea saltCook for 5-7 minutes on low flame, Add soya sauce and continue to cook for 5-7 minutes.turn off the heat and garnish with fresh coriander and lemon juice.
- Serve hot with taco,wrap or flatbread
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Conclusion: If you miss egg scramble and paneer bhurji as a vegan, curry tofu scramble recipe will definitely change your mind. curry spices transform bland tofu block into one of the quickest and tantalizing vegan recipes.