The auspicious month of Shravan begins.It is a time to fast and pray to Lord Shiva and seek his blessings for well being.Below is the list of shravan fast recipes.
What is Shravan/saavan upvas?How do we celebrate it?
Most Hindus fast on every Monday of Shravan/sawan month as per the Hindu calendar.
Generally this month falls around Jul-Aug each year along with the monsoons.This year 2020 it starts on 6-Jul and ends on 3-Aug-2020.
Usually, they bathe and pray in morning and evening.
Eat one meal in the evening after prayers.
We eat satvik aahar/food.
This fasting also helps in detoxification of the body.
Fasting also has scientific reason.Apart from body detox,it also helps nature.Monsoons is breeding season for many animals and fishes.Thus,shravan fasting ensures people let them breed and keeps the natural habitats safe.
Foods that we include in Shravan fast:
- Gluten-free flours like amaranth/rajgira,sago/sabudana,buckwheat/kuttu, water chestnut flour/singhare ka atta,barnyard millet flour/sama ke chawal ka atta.
- Sama ke chawal/barnyard millet/moraiyo rice
- Fruits,nuts and root vegetables like sweet potato,potato,colocasia,
- Sendha namak/Rock salt/Himalayan Pink salt
- Milk and milk products
- Spices like ginger,cumin,green chillies,black pepper,cardamoms,cloves,cinnamon,nutmeg,amchur/dried mango powder,dried pomegranates/anardana.
Foods that we avoid in fast:
- Rice,wheat,plain flour.
- Greens & cruciferous vegetable,okra
- Garlic,Asafoetida/heeng,coriander,sea salt,onions,eggplants,tomatoes.
- Eggs,meat,fish are prohibited.
Scroll below to see our top Shravan fast recipes