The auspicious month of Shravan begins. It is a time to fast and pray to Lord Shiva and seek his blessings for well being. Below is the list of shravan fast recipes.
What is Shravan/saavan upvas? How do we celebrate it?
Most Hindus fast on every Monday of Shravan/sawan month as per the Hindu calendar. Generally, this month falls around Jul-Aug. Eat one meal in the evening after prayers.We eat satvik aahar/food.This fasting also helps in detoxification of the body.
It also has scientific reason. It also helps nature. Monsoons is breeding season for many animals and fishes. Fasting ensures breeding. Thus, population does not dwindle.
Foods that we include in Shravan fast:
- Gluten-free flours like amaranth/rajgira, sago/sabudana, buckwheat/kuttu , water chestnut flour/ singhare ka atta, barnyard millet flour/sama ke chawal ka atta.
- Sama ke chawal/barnyard millet/moraiyo rice.
- Fruits and nuts.
- Root vegetables like sweet potato, potato, taro.
- Sendha namak/Rock salt/Himalayan Pink salt.
- Milk and milk products.
- Spices like ginger, cumin, green chillies, black pepper, cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, amchur/dried mango powder, dried pomegranates/anardana.
Foods that we avoid in fast:
- Rice, wheat, plain flour.
- Greens & cruciferous vegetable, okra.
- Garlic, Asafoetida/heeng.
- coriander, sea salt.
- onions, eggplants, tomatoes.
- Eggs, meat, fish are prohibited.
Read our top Shravan fast recipes below:
Click here to see more recipe videos.